Saturday 14 May 2016

Hexagonal Gift Box with a Vellum Bellyband





Good morning my friends,

I was browsing Youtube for box shapes that are a bit unusual and came across a lot of hexagonal shaped ones, so i took inspiration from them and decided to create my own little box, too!

So i chose turquoise pearlised card stock from crafters companion, measuring 11" x 8 1/4 " and  a piece of heat embossed vellum, cutting it to 11 3/4 " x 1 3/4" 

I scored the long side of my card stock at
1 3/4", 3 1/2", 5 1/4", 7", 8 3/4" and 10 1/2"

I scored the short side at 3" and 5 1/4 "

I then got rid of the small side panel on the top and bottom of my cards tock, just leaving the middle section  to create the flap that would bring the whole box together.
Burnishing all my score lines, then cutting on each scoreline on the long side to the first score line of the short side, creating the flaps.
I used my corner punch to round all the edges of the flaps and then simply assembled the  box , using scor tape to glue the flap to the box panel.
i then carefully folded the flaps ( opposing pairs at a time) to see which side would be the top and which one would be the bottom ( depending on better fit)

Once i made up my mind, i used scor tape to secure the flaps to each other, creating the bottom of my box, making sure i achieve a nice , even hexagonal shape.

Now what was left was to fold the top flaps in, then bring in my strip of vellun to wrap around my box in a way that the ends would meet under the box in the middle of it.
once i warpped it i made sure i creased the vellum carefully for a perfect fit.
It should sit tight but lose enough to slide off easily as well.

Once i was happy with the fitting of my bellyband i used scor tape to secure the ends together, then used a flourish  die and flower die to cut out the embellishments from the same vellum i used for the belly band, then got my butterfly punch out and punched out a butterfly from vellum ,too.

I then shaped the flower and butterfly until i was happy with the result and glued it all to the belly band to finish my box off.

I think this box is great  for chocolate gifts, treats and jewelry gifts!

I hope you liked my little project here and happy crafting!

JoJo xx